|Voice Actor||Alan Young (cartoon)|
Joel McCrary (2011 film)
Jeff Dunham (The Lost Village)
|First Appearance||Unknown (comic books)|
Season 1 (cartoon show, "All That Glitters Isn't Smurf")
Magic Flute Movie
The Lost Village Movie
|Name Translation of Farmer Smurf|
|French||Schtroumpf Paysan, Schtroumpf Jardinier|
Farmer (original French name Schtroumpf Paysan) is one of the main characters of the Smurfs comic books and the Smurfs cartoon show, who has appeared from "All That Glitters Isn't Smurf" to Season 9's opening episode, "The Smurfs That Time Forgot".
Farmer is identified by his green farmer's overalls, a plain straw hat, and brown shoes. He also frequently carries around a pitchfork. In the early comics and Hanna-Barbera cartoon show, the only thing that visually separates Farmer from the other Smurfs is his tendency to carry around a hoe or another farming tool.
In the comic books, he has Harmony sing and play his off-key music in order to make it rain. His constant expression in the original French comics is "cre vingt schtroumpfs", which means "sacred twenty smurfs" (a play on "cre vingt dieux", or "sacred twenty gods").
In the cartoon show, Farmer has a New England accent.
Role in the Village
He is responsible for growing and harvesting much of the food that the Smurfs eat on a daily basis.
In the cartoon, Farmer is a simple Smurf who is very fond of his occupation and always looking after his crops.
In the episode "Speak For Yourself, Farmer Smurf", Farmer longs for marriage and becomes self-conscious of his status as a country bumpkin, worrying over whether or not he could be loved by anyone (including Smurfette, who he wishes to marry for the duration of said episode).
In "Have You Smurfed Your Pet, Today?", instead of obsessing over Handy's string-a-ling fad with the other Smurfs, Farmer criticizes it due to the lack of help he was receiving in the fields. He tells Papa Smurf the fad has gone too far, which proves to be correct when Puppy continues to go without food.
He is very knowledgeable and skilled in his occupation, such as in the episode "The Great Slime Crop Failure", where the story very much implies Farmer is "the smartest [or greatest] farmer in the world". He tells the Smurflings about his belief there are "little good things" in vegetables (so tiny they cannot be seen) that make them healthy for you. Much like how Handy invents things centuries before humans can, this makes Farmer the first creature to theorize such a thing as vitamins and nutrients.
Relationships with Others
Farmer doesn't seem to have a Smurf best friend, as he is often seen as a friend to plenty (if not all) of the Smurfs.
He also gets all tied up in a turnip when talking to Smurfette in "Speak For Yourself, Farmer Smurf". Feeling embarrassed of himself along with wanting to get married, Farmer keeps his identity secret and attempts to woo her by having Grouchy deliver a requested poem by Poet to her. He meets with her at The Great Oak, but not without wearing a mask (made by Handy) along with help from Vanity on how to act charming. Later, after getting captured by Bigmouth, Smurfette reveals to Farmer that she wishes she could've gotten to know him better and tells him about how she's in love with a secret admirer who wants her hand, yet she still feels she's too young to get married. After their escape, the two remain good friends and share a sweet moment on a log.
From Season 6's "Farmer's Genie" onwards, he has a genie named Gourdy, who he had found in his smurfmelon patch. Besides being constantly frustrated when Gourdy's magic goes wrong and wishing that he would stop helping his master, Farmer deeply cares about his genie.
In The Movies
Farmer appears in Smurfs: The Lost Village. His character was voiced by Jeff Dunham.
- His character in the cartoon was voiced by Alan Young.
- Farmer Smurf is identified as Schtroumpf Jardinier in a Schtroumpferies one-page comic gag. In the Dutch translation he is misidentified as Natuursmurf, which is Natural Smurf's Dutch name.
- In the modern comics and the recent movies, Farmer's Smurf hat is a straw hat. Natural Smurfling wears the same style of hat.
- In his first cartoon show appearance, Farmer's voice is much different compared to the rest of the series, presumably portrayed by a different voice actor.
- In the comic books, Farmer is known to constantly tease Fisher Smurf for not catching fish.
- In Bathing Smurfs, Farmer goes on a vacation, leaving no one to tend his crops. However, an unnamed Smurf fills in for him but does a terrible job at it. He does so terribly, Chef Smurf threatens to leave the village.
- In Farmer's last appearance in the cartoon show ("The Smurfs That Time Forgot"), he wears winter-appropriate orange earmuffs and mittens, making him resemble Sickly Smurf.