|Also Known As||Grumpy Smurf (The Smurfs And The Magic Flute UK English dub)|
Positive Smurf (temporary name in The Smurfs 2)
|Voice Actor||Michael Bell (cartoon show)|
Unknown (Magic Flute movie)
George Lopez (The Smurfs film series)
Bumper Robinson (The Smurfs 2: The Video Game)
Jake Johnson (The Lost Village)
|First Appearance||Season 1|
The Lost Village Movie
|Name Translation of Grouchy Smurf|
|German||Muffi Schlumpf, Griesgramschlumpf (only in the old comic books)|
He is usually considered a sourpuss since he barely says anything except what he hates. His catchphrase throughout the entire show is "I hate (insert whatever the last person said)." Most of the time, it's all he says throughout the whole show. And he is also known as uncompromising, rebellious, feisty, good-hearted, upbeat (sometimes), caring, hateful, negative, shrewd, mild-mannered, uptight, realistic and friendly (sometimes).
No matter what you say or suggest, Grouchy will be against it on principle. From his corner, he interrupts the other with systematically negative comments such as: "I hate..." On the face of it, you'd think he doesn't like anyone or anything. He also hates his life. But deep down, he has a heart of gold. Grouchy has a soft spot for Baby Smurf, Puppy, Papa Smurf, Smurfette, the Smurflings, Grandpa Smurf, and flowers. Grouchy also occasionally pulls off acts of courage or selflessness to save the ones he loves.
Role In The Village
Grouchy is rarely seen working, as all he does is stay in the background and say how much he hates whatever is going on.
During events where the Smurfs have to retrieve something, Grouchy does offer some help and he doesn't seem to get as scared as the others do.
Aren't Smurfs Supposed to be Happy?
While Grouchy was always just plain Grouchy from the start in the show, his attitude is explained in the comics.
In the comics about the "The Black Smurfs", Grouchy started out as being just an ordinary Smurf who was merely working until he was bitten by the Purple Fly (In the show, it was Lazy who was bitten first).
Around the end, when everyone was back to normal, Papa Smurf took note that there was one Smurf who still had the bitter attitude and cruel face that a Purple Smurf has and concluded that this was a side effect for being a Purple Smurf for too long. This one Smurf became known as Grouchy.
In the comics, it's actually his fellow Smurfs who made that observation in "The Egg And The Smurfs", the Smurfs are hyped up about the upcoming festival and are thinking about how to make it the best festival ever.
- Jokey Smurf: What if we gave each other presents?
- Grouchy: No, I hate presents!
- Brainy Smurf: Or we could let off balloons.
- Grouchy: No, I hate balloons!
- Greedy Smurf: Or we could have a big cake.
- Grouchy: No, I hate cakes.
- Hefty Smurf: (Angry) You're no fun, no cakes, no balloons, no presents, what do you want for this celebration then?
- Grouchy: I hate celebrations!
- Jokey: He's in a bad mood.
- Hefty: Yes, he's been that way ever since he has been stung by the purple fly, something of that seemed to have stuck with him now and then.
Even when he's genuinely happy, he still has that angry look going as the scene in "A Child Among The Smurfs" after Jeanty had demolished his house and had to rebuild it shows. Although his house looked really shambolic, Grouchy decided that Jeanty did such a good job that he couldn't be happier.
- Grouchy: I like my house!
- Jeanty: Really? You're not just saying that to please me?
- Grouchy: I HATE just saying things to please others!
Although he is mostly hateful, he loves many things.
Likes and Dislikes
See Grouchy Smurf/Likes and Dislikes for an incomplete list.
Relationships With Others
Due to being the angry outcast, Grouchy doesn't seem to have an actual "Best Smurf Friend" until Baby and Puppy come along. He does get along with the others, but he is usually seen leaning against a wall or a tree. Grouchy does show respect for the other Smurfs, but he did admit that he hates Brainy.
Grouchy does like Smurfette, as shown in her debut episode when he drew a heart on a house around the end saying:
- "I-I-I love the Smurfette too- BUT, I HATE anyone to know about it!"
Smurfette is also one of few Smurfs whom figured out that Grouchy's "I hate...!" statements do not always match what he really feels, as shown in an exchange she has with Greedy in "The Smurf Fire Brigade":
- Smurfette: (shocked after Greedy eats two puddings) What are you doing?! Now there won't be enough!
- Greedy: Oh, sure there will! Grouchy hates pudding.
- Smurfette: (irritated) Oh, he just says that!
When Gargamel turns himself into a baby Smurf to infiltrate the village in the "The Baby Smurf", Grouchy first expresses hatred for the new infant. However, after the others run off and Smurfette looks away, he tickles the baby's chin. Later in the episode, Grouchy attempts to tickle him again and becomes baffled and suspicious after Gargamel temporarily breaks his babbling baby charade to yell out "Don't touch me!".
During the debut episode of the real Baby Smurf, Grouchy had a hard time warming up to Baby, but when he snuck a peek at Baby, the infant happily imitated his usual scowl and crossed arms, which caused Grouchy's heart to melt and him to actually smile. Grouchy was too afraid to let these feelings show, so he pretended that he still hated Baby, but when Grouchy agreed to look after Baby for Papa Smurf, Papa Smurf saw through it. When the Stork came back with a note demanding Baby back, Grouchy fled with Baby, gladly risking his life to protect Baby in the flash flood and getting help from nearby animals. Grouchy eventually found his way back to the village because he couldn't protect Baby by himself, he broke down into tears knowing that Baby was going to be taken. The next day, Baby was brought back to stay because of Grouchy's demonstration of sincere devotion and a letter from Smurfette. Grouchy is almost always seen with Baby. Grouchy is the one holding Baby and he doesn't seem to mind at all. In "Grouchy Makes A Splash", where Grouchy learned how to swim, he was too scared to step into the water at first, but when Baby's life was in danger, he swam all the way to save him from Gargamel and Azrael. Grouchy is fully devoted to the safety of Baby, Papa, Smurfette, and all of his fellow Smurfs, even if he doesn't show it. He even wept when Baby Smurf got sick in "Bookworm Smurf" and Papa Smurf was unable to cure him because Sassette made all books disappear by mistake.
- Papa Smurf: How is Baby?
- Grouchy: (tearfully) I hate how Baby is.
In the comic book adaption of Baby Smurf's origin story, Grouchy fled the village when the stork came to retrieve Baby remarking that he wouldn't let the stork take him because he loves Baby Smurf. Later, a duck helps him and Baby onto a small island and Grouchy smiles at Baby while admitting he likes ducks. When Grouchy later in the story is losing all hope, Baby cheers him on and realizing that he can't keep Baby exposed to the elements, Grouchy returns to the village and in tears admits that he simply loves Baby too much to just hand him over to the stork.
- Snappy: I HATE ADULT SMURFS!
- Grouchy: Uh, but I haven't said anything yet.
- Snappy: But you were about to, weren't you? I could tell.
- Grouchy: How did he guess? (in thoughts) I HATE Smurflings.
Grouchy developed a soft spot for The Purple Smelly Hatchling in "Born Rotten", despite disliking his smell as much as the others (as well as being chased). He was also the only Smurf the hatchling liked enough to be lead away from the village by. He shows this soft spot best by making his wish for the shooting star celebration that the "stinky little fellow" makes it home safely before smiling.
In The Movies
In the 2011 Smurfs movie, Grouchy is one of the few Smurfs that travels through time to present-day New York City. During their stay with Patrick and Grace Winslow, he tells Patrick that he finds the Smurf song truly annoying. In the FAO Schwarz toy store where they search for a "stargazer", Grouchy meets a plush toy of a green M&M and discloses his life and secrets to it, but he gets upset when it will not talk to him. He discloses to the plush toy that he uses his grouchiness to hide his true feelings. He makes it promise to remember the moment, as he was supposedly Grouchy for the rest of his life. At the end he is seen having a romantic cart ride with a Smurf-made green M&M plush toy.
In the accompanying special feature The Smurfs: A Christmas Carol, Grouchy noticeably refuses to participate in the celebration of Christmas, so Papa Smurf whips up a formula that would help his little Smurf regain the Christmas spirit he had lost. While under the influence of the formula, Grouchy is visited by three of his fellow Smurfs appearing as Smurfs of Christmas Past, Present, and Future. Smurfette as the Smurf of Christmas Past showed Grouchy how happy he used to be about Christmas until he became disillusioned when all he ever got for a Christmas present was a Smurf hat instead of a hang glider. Brainy as the Smurf of Christmas Present showed Grouchy how his refusal to participate in Christmas will affect current events in the Smurf Village, and also how Papa Smurf made a special Smurf hat for Grouchy that he was sure his little Smurf is going to love. And Hefty as the Smurf of Christmas Future shows Grouchy what his refusal to participate in Christmas will cause on the day of Christmas. Upon awakening, Grouchy realized how selfish he was with what he wanted Christmas to be about and decided that he was going to make the final preparations for Christmas Day, which made Papa Smurf and the other Smurfs glad to see.
Grouchy Smurf appears in The Smurfs 2 as a main character, traveling to modern-day Paris with Papa Smurf, Clumsy, and Vanity to rescue Smurfette from Gargamel, who has kidnapped her so she can give him Papa Smurf's special formula that can turn his Naughties into Smurfs. He temporarily takes on the name Positive Smurf and tries to be more of an encourager, but by the end of the story he reverts to his original name and personality. He winds up falling in love with Vexy.
Grouchy has a brief appearance in Smurfs: The Lost Village as he sits on a bench along with Smurfette, who tries to be as grouchy as he is, only to tell her that she is bad at being grouchy.
Grouchy is one of the playable characters in the PC game The TeleTransport Smurf.
In the app game Smurfs' Village, Grouchy is a wandering character in the main village with a storm cloud above his head you can tap on to earn 100 XP. His hut costs 30 smurfberries.
- His character in the cartoon show was voiced by Michael Bell.
- Grouchy has had very few moments where he does smile, but he is still probably the meanest-looking Smurf in the entire village.
- Grouchy was one of the few adult Smurfs who wasn't able to swim, but in the end, he ended up to save Baby Smurf showing how much he loves Baby and in the end, he loves swimming ("Grouchy Makes A Splash").
- Grouchy was one of the remaining Smurfs to not to be turned into stone, others being Smurfette and Papa Smurf ("The Baby Smurf").
- There is a day in the Smurf calendar where all the Smurfs must give each other hugs, and this happens to be Grouchy's most despised day ("A Hug For Grouchy").
- In the episode "Chlorhydris' Lost Love", where an evil spell was cast upon most of the Smurfs which made them hateful and violent, Grouchy was more hateful than usual.
- Grouchy is usually never happy, but when he is for a long period of time, he feels pain.
- Grouchy has also shown that he has a hard time giving into several things.
- Grouchy is voiced by George Lopez (The George Lopez Show, Beverly Hills Chihuahua, and Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2) in the new live-action movie.
- Grouchy's "I hate..." statements are usually rendered as "Me, I hate..." or "Me, I don't like..." in the Papercutz English translations of the Smurf comic books, taking the original French text more literally.
- Grouchy showed to be immune against two of Chlorhydris' spells: he was immune against the sense of humor eraser in "He Who Smurfs Last" since he lacks one, and he was immune against the Raven of Unhappiness' song in "Smoogle Sings The Blues" since he is constantly unhappy.
- Grouchy is referred to as Grumpy Smurf in the United Kingdom English dub of The Smurfs And The Magic Flute.
- In "Bewitched, Bothered, And Be-Smurfed", because Grouchy's personality was changed by Hogatha's magic locket, he was a comedian who was also willing to kiss Hogatha, even though she was a frog at the time.