Hogatha is a supporting character that appeared in the 1980s Smurfs cartoon show from Season 1 to Season 8, and has also appeared in the Schtroumpf magazine comics. She is a short, fat, ugly, and lonely witch who wears an orange wig to hide her baldness, whose main desire is to make herself beautiful and attractive enough to have the man of her dreams fall in love with her.
Sometimes her plans to do this include Smurfs, which she has masqueraded as twice in the cartoon series (once as Snorty Smurf and another time as Grandma Smurfette). As her name suggests, Hogatha snorts like a pig when she talks or laughs. She rides around on a pet vulture that she calls Harold. Hogatha's favorite holiday is Halloween when she loves to scare children.
In a few episodes, Hogatha claims to have multiple lives, one of which was destroyed when the Smurfs destroyed the magic locket she owned in "Bewitched, Bothered, And Be-Smurfed" which was the source of her magical powers.
Her character was voiced by Janet Waldo.
- Hogatha appeared in a televised Ice Capades special with guest star Jennifer Beals.
- She was originally going to have a Smurfs spin-off devoted to herself called 'The Hogatha Show' by Hanna-Barbera, but for unknown reasons it was cancelled.
- She is the first villain who can be placed and bought in the Smurf village game.
- She has never interacted with Chlorhydris despite they are both witches and female antagonists for the cartoon series.
- In the Polish dub (the old and new dub), her snorting was removed