- "Long, long ago, deep in a forest, there was a hidden village where tiny creatures lived. They called themselves Smurfs. They were good. Then there was Gargamel, the evil wizard. He was bad....Well, the forest is still there. And if you listen, you may hear Gargamel's rage. And if you are good, you may just catch a glimpse of the Smurfs."
- - Narrator, Season 1 intro
Season 1, which aired from 1981 to 1982, introduced us to the main cast of characters commonly known as the Smurfs -- the village leader Papa Smurf, the beautiful Smurfette, the wisdom-spewing Brainy, the muscleman Hefty, the mechanic Handy, the food freak Greedy, the horn-playing Harmony, the narcissistic Vanity, the lackadaisical Lazy, the curmudgeon Grouchy, and various others -- plus their main adversaries, Gargamel the evil human wizard and his pet cat Azrael. It was during this season that a cartoon special, "The Smurfs Springtime Special" (April 8, 1982), was aired, introducing us to Gargamel's wicked godfather Lord Balthazar as well as to the Smurfs' constant ally Mother Nature.
Season 1 consisted of a lot of episodes that were adaptations to the comic book series. However, notable differences had to be made either because of social and cultural differences, or to fit them into 11-minute or 22-minute episodes, or to be consistent with the cartoon show universe. Some examples include: making The Purple Smurfs instead of The Black Smurfs; Dreamy Smurf being The Astro-Smurf and Smurfette and Gargamel being present unlike in the comic; and Smurfette brought to trial in the Smurfette episode before she was 'converted' by Papa Smurf as well as disguising herself as the Lone Smurf.
The intro narration takes place during a panning of the Smurf forest, which leads to the appearance of the Smurfs and a montage of shots featuring Smurfs doing their daily activities. Then comes a shot of Gargamel's castle, with Gargamel appearing in the window, saying, "Oooh, I hate the Smurfs!" This is followed by Gargamel briefly chasing after a Smurf until he ends up trapped inside a log, with the Smurf watching as he rants and raves, bumping into the trees. The Smurf then runs through the forest and dives through a hollowed-out log before proceeding to go behind the SMURFS title logo and then appear sitting on top of a mushroom.
The Season 1 intro sequence is one of the most common of the nine season intro sequences due to its use in international versions of The Smurfs cartoon TV series, though by using the more modern version of THE SMURFS title logo. However, the international versions of this intro also uses two different theme songs; each of them would either be sung or have a spoken narration like the original US version. (For more infomation on one of the theme songs, see "The Smurfy Way".)
The episodes that appeared in this season (in the order of their original air dates) include:
1. The Smurf's Apprentice (9/12/1981)
2. The Smurfette (9/12/1981)
3. Vanity Fare (9/12/1981)
4. King Smurf (9/19/1981)
5. The Astro Smurf (9/19/1981)
6. Jokey's Medicine (9/19/1981)
7. St. Smurf And The Dragon (9/26/1981)
8. Sorcerer Smurf (9/26/1981)
9. The Smurfs And The Howlibird (9/26/1981)
10. The Magical Meanie (10/3/1981)
11. Bewitched, Bothered, And Be-Smurfed (10/3/1981)
12. Smurf-Colored Glasses (10/3/1981)
13. Dreamy's Nightmare (10/10/1981)
14. Fuzzle Trouble (10/10/1981)
15. Soup A La Smurf (10/10/1981)
16. All That Glitters Isn't Smurf (10/17/1981)
17. Romeo and Smurfette (10/17/1981)
18. The Hundredth Smurf (10/17/1981)
19. Smurphony in 'C' (10/24/1981)
20. The Magic Egg (10/24/1981)
21. Smurfette's Dancing Shoes (10/24/1981)
22. Supersmurf (10/31/1981)
23. The Baby Smurf (10/31/1981)
24. The Fake Smurf (10/31/1981)
25. Paradise Smurfed (11/7/1981)
26. Sir Hefty (11/7/1981)
27. The Purple Smurfs (11/7/1981)
28. Haunted Smurfs (11/14/1981)
29. Sideshow Smurfs (11/14/1981)
30. The Magnifying Mixture (11/14/1981)
31. Foul Weather Smurf (11/21/1981)
32. Painter And Poet (11/21/1981)
33. The Abominable Snowbeast (11/21/1981)
34. Gargamel The Generous (11/28/1981)
35. Now You Smurf 'Em, Now You Don't (11/28/1981)
36. The Fountain Of Smurf (11/28/1981)
37. Spelunking Smurfs (12/5/1981)
38. The Clockwork Smurf (12/5/1981)
39. The Smurfs And The Money Tree (12/5/1981)
- Warner Home Video has released two volume sets of Season 1 episodes.
- Amazon Instant Video and Zune have individual episodes available for download.
- Apple iTunes has the volume sets available for download.
- Google Play has the first volume of Season 1 available for download.
- Fabulous Films released the complete first season DVD set with all 26 episodes, as well as The Smurfs Springtime Special for the UK in July 2010. The entire season is also available for download on UK iTunes from Arrow Films. (which is also in conjunction with Fabulous Films on the DVD distribution rights)
- In August 2011, Magna Home Entertainment released the complete first season DVD set for Austraila and New Zealand as well. (as well as 'Ultimate Collection 1' box set)
- Imavision released a Season 1 DVD set in French in Canada.
- In August 2011, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment have released the entire season with all the episodes, as well as The Smurfs Springtime Speical on a DVD set in Germany.
|Smurfs (TV series), 1981-1990|
| Season 1 | Season 2 | Season 3 | Season 4 |
Season 5 | Season 6 | Season 7 | Season 8 | Season 9