You control Hefty Smurf who must venture into the forest to rescue his fellow Smurfs that are being held captive by Gargamel. Along the way, Hefty can collect bonus items such as sarsaparilla leaves to increase his life count and raspberries to replenish his energy. Each section of the forest has its own set of dangers that Hefty must be careful to avoid. (In the Super Nintendo and Sega Mega Drive versions, you must also at the beginning of the game make your way through the Smurf Village!) Collecting stars in the Super Nintendo and Mega Drive versions will allow you to unlock bonus screens where Hefty can collect items to increase health and lives.
In most levels of the 16-bit versions, Hefty will be the main playable character, while in some others, Brainy, Greedy, or Jokey may be that character.
- With the exception of the Gameboy version, all versions of this game were released solely in Europe due to the continued popularity of the Smurf characters in that area. Infogrames was looking at releasing the Super Nintendo version in America in 1996, but most likely backed out of doing so due to the decline of the 16-bit home game market at that point.
- The Super Nintendo version is confirmed to have an internal lockout in its program when played on the RetroDuo, a Super Nintendo/NES clone system that normally allows games from any region to be played on the system.
- The Gameboy version had a limited release in America in 1996, then was given a Player's Choice re-release two years later by Nintendo.
- The Gameboy and Game Gear versions can be played on the respective systems of any region.
- The Sega CD version had special animation sequences created by Infogrames. They have a similar animation style to the 1976 animated film adaptation of The Smurfs and the Magic Flute, produced by Belvision Studios (despite it being considered non-canon).
- The 16-bit version of this game was later adapted for the Gameboy Advance and released as Revenge Of The Smurfs.
Passcodes: (Gameboy version)
Level 5 PBSP
Level 10 ZRMS
Passcodes: (NES version)
RCRD Act 4 (Easy)
LBRT Act 4 (Hard)
HDLS Act 4 (Normal)
DNLV Act 8 (Easy)
ZYDR Act 8 (Hard)
RBNG Act 8 (Normal)
Passcodes: (Sega Master System version)
Level 5 NTLR
Level 10 MCSD
Passcodes: (Super NES and Mega Drive versions)
- For getting past the Carnivorous Plant
- For getting past the Snake
- For getting past the Dragon
- Revenge Of The Smurfs, the Gameboy Advance version.